As you will be outdoors every day it is important to have the right clothing and footwear with you. If you do not own anything suitable you are most welcome to borrow the right equipment from us. You are also welcome to borrow a warm and comfortable sleeping bag.
The Silent Way uses only the best equipment available and provides our clients with the warmest, most durable and technically adapted clothing for winter in the mountains. We provide our clients with most of the “outer layers” of clothing; you need to bring the “inner layers”. If you have your own equipment or outer clothing that you would like to use, please bring it along and we will evaluate together which items are more appropriate to use.
- Developing a winter clothing system
Your clothing must work as a system that wicks away perspiration, insulates you from the cold and protects you from the wind. The preferred system is made up of several layers. This allows you to easily adjust your clothing to changes in the weather and changes in your heat output.
- The First layer
Clothing next to your skin must wick perspiration away from your skin to keep you dry and warm. The first layer is a thin layer. Wool is excellent, wool is the best. Polypropylene and other Synthetic material can be good but smells a lot and wool don’t. Cotton is inappropriate as it is poor wicking layers. It’s also nice to be able to change this layer during the tour so maybe you need a couple of this with you depending on the length of the tour. This you can buy directly from us if you don’t have it at home.
- The Second layer (or layers)
This layer provides insulation and retain your body heat without restricting movement and it is a thicker material that the first layer. Wool is the best! Pile, polar fleece can be used but wool is great. If it’s really cold you need one – two more of this second layer. For example one or two thick sweater of wool or fleece. You can buy the first Second layer from us..
- The Third layer
This must offer protection from the wind and the cold. The more wind proof is often the less breathable. Gore-Tex or something similar is a good choice.
- The Fourth layer
This offers extra insulation. Different kind of Parka clothing, jacket and pants with thick isolation and windproof.
‘The Silent Way’ can provide the following:
- Parka clothing: A warm jacket with a generous hood and insulated bib over-pants with full side zippers
- Warm boots (with double liners warm to -50 C), gloves, warm hat and face mask
- Sleeping bag system, with fresh cotton/fleece liner
- Headlamp and batteries
What we recommend you to bring, this is for a 7 day tour (5 days out):
- Duffel bag to have in the sled with all yourluggage you need out on tour
- 1 warm windproof hat that covers your ears well
- 2 pr. light weight wool or fleece gloves
- 2 pr. light weight liner socks of wool
- 2 pr.of thick warm wool socks sized to fit over the liner socks
- 1 – 2 pr. top and bottom long underwear, wool or some warm synthetic
- 1 – 2 light weight wool sweater or fleece
- 1 – 2 pr. Of wool or fleece pants.
- 1 warm pile or fleece jacket or wool sweater
- 1 windproof jacket with a generous hood and sized large enough to fit the clothing under.
- Sunglasses that block out most ultraviolet rays and sunscreen.
- Ski googles are very good to have a windy day.
- Comfortable, warm clothes for the evenings
- In-lodge Footwear – something to get you out of your boots, mukluks with insulation, lightweight insulated boots, stout boots or a pair of good jogging shoes.
- Spare hats – a wool stocking cap makes a good spare; a lightweight hat is often useful.
- Contact lenses are a good complement to glasses. In some cases preferable. So bring contacts if possible.
Tip: tie small pieces of ribbon or nylon cord through the eye of each zipper makes it easy to pull up the zipper with your gloves one
You can buy first and second layer in good quality from us
• First layer: Wool socks
• First layer, thin Merinowool or Microsoft (synthetic).
• Second Layer: Soft Sweater in Micro (synthetic) or Wool terry.
Just send us a message and we wil come back to you with a list for this winter. E-mail
If you have any questions or concerns about any items on this list please do not hesitate to contact us. There will not be any opportunity to purchase more items ones you are in Umnäs. Please E-mail us if you have questions.